Monday, April 7, 2008

Next Up: Sea Otter Classic in Monterrey!



Next up is the Sea Otter Classic in Monterrey! The Sea Otter Classic is one of the largest cycling festivals in the world, with several days full of road and mountain bike races and every player in the cycling industry showing off their newest stuff.

I am driving up with GenR8, the the maker of my racing and training fuel, VITARGO. I also will be racing under the DART-nuun banner in the sprint adventure race and maybe one of the mountain bike races. I am in the process of building up my new TURNER FLUX, and hope to unveil it at Sea Otter. Every thing about this bike is fast. Just waiting on a couple final parts from Second Ascent in Seattle to be shipped down...

"Gotta tame the beast before you let it out of the cage!"
-Derek Zoolander

So I am completely stoked because I have read about Sea Otter since the early 90s but have never attended. Over 9,500 athletes will be racing in the road, mountain bike, and multisport races, with 50,000 spectators! The road races take place on the Laguna Seca race track, which makes it specator-friendly. I plan on bringing my digital camera so check back for some cool shots of the pro races.

I will be working the GenR8 booth, sharing my experience with Vitargo with endurance athletes. The word is out about Vitargo! It really is the fastest muscle fuel available today, quite literally. My secret race and recovery fuel isn't a secret any more. Good for GenR8, bad for me. Ha!

Several DART-nuun sponsors will have a high profile at Sea Otter, including THULE. What would we all do without our sweet THULE rack systems on our cars? I am about to get a new car, smaller than what I have now, and I will be using my new THULE rack every day to transport my bikes and boats.

DART-nuun teammates Cyril Jay-Rayon and Mari Chandler will join me in the Thule Adventure Challenge sprint adventure race. We are racing individually as soloists, as that is the only category. The race will be extremely short and fast, quite a departure from our specialty: 24-hour to 5 day long expedition races!

I am going to make a bold prediction...DUN-DUN-Duuuuuuun:
My teammate Mari Chandler will smoke the course. Mari is a former NIKE Farm Team professional runner, specializing in the mile. That means she is basically an alien from another planet with physiological gifts that most multisport racers will never have. Oh, and she's fast on the bike too. Mari is crazy, stupid fast. And she's one of the funnest people you'll ever meet. I am pretty sure that she is going to humiliate most of the guys in this race. Go Mari!

We will be at Sea Otter from Thursday April 17th until Sunday April 21st. You should be able to find us wearing our nuun or GenR8 Vitargo gear. Overall it should be a fantastic weekend in Monterrey, one of the most beautiful spots in California. For a bike freak like me, this is a weekend in paradise!

Today's song is Air Traffic Control by Louis XIV, who brought you the masterpiece Finding Out True Love is Blind.

No comments: