Monday, January 19, 2009

Happy New Year!





It's been a few months since my last post after nationals...quick update!

Christmas was at home in Vero Beach, Florida with Lisa and my family. While in Florida we were able to attend a Tampa Bay Buccaneers game, courtesy of Lisa's cousin Chris Hovan who plays on the team. (Thanks Chris and Jamie!!)

After Christmas Lisa and I spent a week with her family in Cleveland...It was my first trip to Cleveland & Lisa's family made the trip absolutely fantastic.

We had a great time recharging the batteries and reconnecting with our families. I managed to sneak in yoga, regular lifting, and some time working on the boxing/muay thai skills. Just being able to relax without an itinerary is a luxury after such an action packed year.

On to 2009...

Right now I am full-swing into training for the 2009 season, with 20 hours on the bike last week in addition to normal swimming and lifting.

In contrast to 2008, I will ramp up slower in 2009 with the majority of my important races coming a bit later in the season.

A random ankle injury (peroneal tendon partial rupture/tendonitis) has meant zero running until at least February...

2008 will be tough to beat...or match!

Undefeated in 8 adventure races.
USA National Champions.
Nonstop training and racing adventures with old and new friends...
and most importantly I met Lisa!

Goals for 2009 will be slightly different than last year...

I will have a much more diversified schedule, with road and mountain bike racing, Xterra triathlons, Half Ironmans, a Full Ironman on the schedule in addition to the most competitive adventure races on the circuit with Team DART-nuun.

I would love a repeat national championship as well as a chance to represent the USA at the Adventure Racing World Championships in Portugal next winter.

I will post some vacation photos and a revised 2009 race schedule in the next week...

The photos for this week are from 1997. You are looking at a secret spot in the Oahu rainforest. Two friends and I climbed several 30' ropes up a series of waterfalls...there were 6 climbs like this, connecting 7 pools. I do remember thinking at the top that we were going to die on the way down. I will never tell anyone where this is...too dangerous! Glad I have the pictures though...thanks Troy!

Thanks for tuning in!

Sean

No comments: