Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

Here is one of my favorites...some British troops in Iraq made this video a few
years ago.

When facing challenging circumstances with no end in sight, you've got to maintain your sense of humor and stay tight with your friends. Hopefully you have some good ones. I am lucky in that regard.

My friends fighting or doing executive protection in Iraq, Afghanistan, and beyond are some of the funniest guys I know...and they happen to do adventure races and ultramarathons as well. Perfect examples. We would laugh our asses off on 134 mile bike rides around Oahu, long runs at Tantalus, paddles along the Oahu coastline around Koko head, you name it. Piss your pants laughing. Tear ab muscles laughing. I'm sure their sense of humor has come in handy in some very, very dark places.

Thoughts and prayers go out to our brothers and sisters doing some very miserable work for us in the sandbox this 4th of July!


My favorite quote from my friend Ed who is in Iraq frequently:

"When it gets under 100 degrees, I reach for a sweater".

Dang.

Cheers to you Mike! Ed! Take care of yourselves guys, see you at another adventure race in the not-so-distant future.

No comments: